HSA MEETING MINUTES
May 19, 2021
George Washington Home & School Association
Attendees: Juliane Cho, Tasneem Patrawala, Amy Kahn, Suzanne Laffey, Elizabeth McCarthy,Elizabeth
Rottinger, Esther Zuckerman, Maria Hutchinson, Melanie Amores, Tori Schoeler, Rebecca Rubenstein
Call to Order: 1:30 PM
Principal’s Report, Mr. Piacenza (Dr. Kashmanian):
● June 7th - virtual presentation (for parents) on Vaping from 7:00 PM- 8:00 PM by Tim
Shoemaker. He will also be talking with students at another time
● The 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony will be happening. It may be outside at RHS or inside at
GWMS (with outside seating and a large screen for families who don’t feel comfortable sitting
inside or who have not been vaccinated). Still waiting to see final CDC and Village of Ridgewood
guidelines and restrictions before making a final decision.
● Field Day - surprise event for 8th graders. We will practice social distancing, minimal handling of
equipment and have hand sanitizers readily available for students
● Junetoberfest for - 6th & 7th graders (on separate days). Surprise for these grades. We will
practice social distancing, minimal handling of equipment and have hand sanitizers readily
available for students
● Free Virtual event on June 10 from 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM on “Positive Self Talk and Body Image”
for all students. The event is hosted by Christine D’ercole, a global track cycling champion and
President’s Report, Juliane Cho:
Motion approved for March 17, 2021 minutes by Tasneem Patrawala and Suzanne Laffey
● GW Culture and Talent Show participants were awarded with certificates and B&J gift cards
● Teacher Appreciation Week - overwhelming amount of thank you’s from teachers. Daily treats
included snack baskets, Starbucks gift cards, catered lunch, cookies, custom labeled hand
● Book Fair will be June 1 - 4 (outside under a tent) from 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM - 5:00
PM on June 2nd. Can also shop online. Parents can sign-up and pay through eWallet. Will
follow CDC guidelines by limiting the number of students at a time and maintaining social
● 8th Grade Promotion Event will be at Paramus Pool on June 22nd. Rain date June 23rd. We will
continue to follow CDC guidelines. Waivers not necessary because we have insurance.
● 8th Grade commemorative T-shirts & Banners are being sold.
● 8th Grade RHS25 Graduation - are ready for pick-up. Tables will be set-up outside the school on
Tuesday, May 25th.
● Thank you everyone for all your support this year (board members, teachers, students)
Treasurer’s Report, Suzanne Laffey:
Motion approved for April 2021 financials by Tasneem Patrawala and Maria Hutchinson.
61 Friends of GW donations totalling $6,174 year to date as of 4/31/2021. Goal is $10k, we are 62%
there (no new donations since March 2021).
Parents donated a total of $2,937 for our GW teachers this year.
Planning & Development Report, Maria Hutchinson
Pavers fundraiser - sending out a flyer for anyone who wants to purchase a paver to leave their mark.
Meeting adjourned: 2:07 PM